Friday 4 December 2015

Patchwork Christmas Trees & Friday Smile

It's a couple of weeks since I posted but that doesn't mean I have been idle! I've travelled the length of this country, 
first down to Brighton to visit two of my gorgeous little grandies who were so much fun and so good for us when we looked after them whilst their parents went off to an event up North.

I have also been busy at home making several seasonal items, which I have really enjoyed......
I finished this Christmas table runner, which is edged in gold ribbon.
This "feather" Christmas Tree was a project at a recent class and, whilst it was a bit fiddly, it  came together quite well and I really enjoyed making it. I did, however, resort to invisible thread which disguised my errors somewhat!

I also made a very special commission which is now with it's new owner.... I made a super, completely new suit for a certain special fellow, that all the children love, for one of his appointments at my grandies school's Christmas fair in Brighton.
 Hat, trousers and jacket all in red edged with white fur... Got it? Yes! I bet you know who it is and I will soon have a picture of him wearing it! 
This tree banner, below, is no so special but so much easier as it is made from half square triangles, bonded and appliquéd with blanket stitch.  
I forgot to add parcels around the tree on this one.
I finally finished this Christmas table runner, which is edged in gold ribbon.
I made a couple of sacks.
Handy big padded pockets in this easy Christmas sack, which made it stand up well....
I used up all my remnants of "Frozen" fabric for this one.
We took a detour on the way home from Brighton to stay a couple of super days with my lovely crafty friend Dolores and we crammed in so much.
Thanks so much to D & A for everything.
We visited West Malling and Dolores introduced me to a fabulous but crazy fabric shop.....
Quite a quaint little shop and I really didn't expect what I found behind this little door...

This really gave a huge smile to Dolores and me and so I will add it to 
Annie's Friday Smiles for this week.
I adored it and had a real rummage amongst the bargains and, of course, managed to find some fabulous fabrics to bring home.
West Malling shops have really pushed the boat out for their Christmas shop window displays and these Tree Dresses (in several shops) were amazing..... 
but I was bowled over by all these gingerbread houses on display in the window of "The Hungry Guest" cafe.
We visited Igtham Mote National Trust property, a 14th century moated manor house
The rooms were decorated in different periods for Christmas.
Most of the ornaments on the trees were hand made
It was such a lovely atmosphere with music of each period in the different rooms.



17 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Thanks for a simply glorious post, Jo! Jo x

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Jo and happy Friday. Fabulous post, you have been busy and having fun with your friend - those shops look amazing and yes amazed at the fabric shop interior - bought a gasp from me.. great fun to rummage there. Have a wonderful weekend cheers Robyn

Robyn Oliver said...

ps ... I just love your Christmas patchwork Jo, fabulous

Annie said...

So many wonderful smiles this week Jo. You must have many more hours in your days than me to get made all that you do. Lovely photo of Dolores and what a wonderful fabric shop you found.....Oh how I would have enjoyed a good rummage in there :-)
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jo, it's all gorgeous! Looks like you've been very busy and more to come if that fabric you found is anything to go on. Thanks for the smiles today, Angela xXx

tilly said...

What a very happy time you have been having......so many lovely projects and what a great shop....Ilove your new makes but don,t know where your time comes from, your half squares trees are beautiful. I have landed in NZ today and met my great nephew for the first time.... A few more first occasions to come!
Xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Jo! I love your runners, but then I must say I love all of your makes - and you now have more fabric from that brilliant shop! I am sure you will s.t.r.e.t.c.h time and use some of it soon! The shops and Manor House look great! Hugs, Chrisx

Twiglet said...

Lovely Christmassy post Jo. x Jo

Lisca said...

What a lot of lovely stuff you made! The feather Christmas tree is indeed splendid.
The fabric shop is absolutely bonkers! I gasped and choked when I saw the interior. I would have loved to rummage!
The castle is beautiful. When we used to live in the UK we had NT memberships and we would visit any property on our travels. (But I have not been to this one).
I love the window displays and the gingerbread houses. What fun.
Have a good week,
Lisca

Lee said...

WOW,what a Fantastic post,LOVE your quilting/patchwork,you are soooo talented.Gorgeous pics of your outing.Huggles to all.xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

Oh Wow Jo looks like you had an amazing time with Dolores & Alan. Those pics sure are stunning. You are a clever lady! Apologies for my latenesss but as you know from my post I've been away this weekend visiting my boy. Take care Zo xx

mamapez5 said...

What a lovely lot of happy things in your post this week. I love all the decorated trees in the manor house, and the gingerbread showcase window. I bet you could have spent a few more hours rummaging in the fabric shop. My goodness what a treasure trove. Your Christmas makes are all lovely, but I particularly like the 'feather' tree. Kate x

Hettie said...

Oh Jo I just love your patchwork goodies!! Your sacks and those trees are wonderful. As for that fabric shop, it looks mad!!
Sorry I am late, but I was in Prague for a little break!
Hugs
xx

Creative Cardiology said...

Looks like you had a grand week! Your Christmas quilting are beautiful. I'd love to visit the gingerbread shop!
Have a super week!
Hugs,
Michelle

Words and Pictures said...

Oh wonderful - the quilting and patchworking is beautiful (excuse me if I get the technical terms wrong!)... and I think even I with my sewing phobia would get excited rummaging amongst all that fabulous fabric! I adore the Christmas windows - the greenery and the gingerbread, all so enticing, and the final shots of the manor and its tree are so lovely.
Alison xx

Quayquilter said...

I must check out that West Malling shop next time I'm near!

Neet said...

Fab photos Jo and so nice to see Dolores. Bet you two had a smashing time catching up.
Am going to try to get instructions for something whilst over here that Mary has - you would love to make these. Now that has you wondering - wait an wee.
Hugs (teasingly) Neet xx