Monday 15 April 2013

Art Specially Show in Zeist Holland

I've not been too well (system out of sorts, not really ill just not well) since I returned from the Art Specially show in Holland where I demmed for stampattack but at last I'm feeling much better and I've managed to upload some photos of the trip. 
It was a great show and I'd love to go again just as a visitor so I could take advantage of all the workshops and Make & Takes over the two days. It was a really vibrant atmosphere, busy but spacious and for us as retailers it was non stop all weekend but the people, both stall holders and visitors were all so lovely and friendly.
Carol had the great idea that we should decorate top hats for the show, mine was Steam Punk and her's Alice in Wonderland themed. We never planned to wear them, they were just to be decorations for the stand, but when we put them on for fun it really created so much interest and people were coming to take our photograph and thus visit the shop so we left them on most of the time! I know I look daft but I'm good for a laugh!
It was so lovely to meet so many new people and make new friends.... 
here's Mariette (of Stamping Mariette) a lovely talented lady who demonstrated new stamps designed by her friend Ellie Knol on the Magenta Stand. We got along so well and I know we'll keep in touch and meet again one day.

 Tine on Hobbycompleet "De Duif" was really lovely and friendly and sharing with her work and ideas. Tine made some stunning cards using Pan Pastels really effectively.
These are so beautiful!
We met up with Michael Strong and also the lovely Hettie of craftchaos who was helping on his stand. Michael is just a lovely guy and as he was in our hotel we had breakfast with him and some good fun together.
Everyone who stopped by for our various Make & Takes seemed to have fun.
However I didn't have time to take many pics once we got going.
Here's the Art Specially stand at the entrance to the show...
All their fabulous books were on sale...
We met up with Linda of Lost Coast Stamps (and I bought more of her quirky stamps) but forgot to take photos. We did really miss seeing Mary Kay of Stamp Camp who we'd expected to be there.
So many different stands I'd never seen before....

I took the photos before the show opened and it was the only time it was quiet!
There were so many workshops and make & takes at the show that most visitors came for two days to take up everything on offer. 
There were rows of areas just like this below and the whole length of the balcony (which you can spot in this pic) had so many workshops and make & take tables. 
We met up with friends Wezz and Jan, from Belgium, for a fabulous Indo Chinese banquet in the 
Tong Ah restaurant, just a short drive from the show. 
We can certainly recommend it as, whilst the main menu was quite pricey, they had a set meal for 20 euros per person of soup, crispy wantons and spring rolls then 3 huge main dishes with fried rice or noodles. Followed by ice cream and fruit with coffee or tea.
The waitress took the photos of us all together then insisted on taking another of me with this amazingly grotesque huge wood carving.
I think it was an excellent show and so very different to those in UK. So many more dems and workshops. I would say that the catering could have been better as the only food available was greasy fried stuff but I suppose we should have taken our own!
Before we came home we visited Giethoorn an exceptionally quaint little village of canals, with no roads, accessed only by boat! Known as the Venice of Holland. 
Photos tomorrow!

13 comments:

Paul B said...

Wow looks a fabulous Exhibition. Lucky you :) And I haven't heard of Michael Strong in ages!! Now there's a blast from the past. Wonderful that your hats brought people to your stand lol. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Glad that you're beginning to feel like you're on the mend. Sending hugs. Pxx

lisa said...

Hi Jo
It looks like a fantastic show and so many unusual stands. Love your tops hats, I'm not surprised they created a talking point. I'm glad you had a great time but sorry you have been under the weather. Hopefully this lovely Spring weather will lift your spirits.
Glad to have you back from your travels safe and sound.
Hugs Lisax

Helen said...

Love your hats! It looks a great show, and I love all that space for make and takes!! I went to Ally Pally this weekend and have posted some pictures. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Helen.

Redanne said...

Hi Jo, that stand called 'De Scrapheap' really gave me a giggle, what a great name! It does look like an amazing place and how wonderful to have so many make and take and demo areas (we could learn from that!). Love the hats that you and Carol made, they look fab. What a shame you felt under the weather though. Hugs, Anne x

Annie said...

What a wonderful place Jo. It certainly looks like everyone enjoyed themselves there....just a shame you wern't feeling 100%.
Hugs,
A x

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous photographs and looks like you had a fun filled time.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Gill Edwards said...

Wow Jo, what a lot of stands full of goodies. I wouldnt have known where to start. I can feel my bank balance empty just thinking about it.
Sorry you have been under the weather and glad youre on the mend

Gill x

fairy thoughts said...

wow what a fabulous show, love all the make and takes.... we just dont do them as well over here do we. It looks like you all had a blast
janet

Mariëtte said...

Hi Jo, it was sure fun meeting you. You are such a friendly woman. And yes the show was again fabulous. It's something we look forward too a whole year. We are already counting the days so to speek.
Hope you are feeling better!

Lynne said...

Wow, Jo! What a fantastic time you must have had. If I went to something like that I would bankrupt myself, which is why I go to fewer quilt shows these days. (I have TOO MUCH STUFF!!)

Sorry to hear you are off colour, hope it passes. (In all senses of that phrase!) Lxx

Hetty said...

Hello Jo, what great pictures of the Stamp Show in Zeist and it was wonderful meeting you! I do hope you come back next year and we chat some more!

Jane Davies said...

Looks like a FABULOUS time!!!

I did get your beautiful card; THANK YOU so much! I have scanned it, and it's up in the Facebook Album "Postcards 3", but I have to update my Postcard Galleries page. I look forward to another card from the UK!

Ellie Knol said...

Only saw this post now, the photo with Mariette for Magenta being a photo I will treasure. I was demonstrating on the Saturday, so sorry I missed you. I agree it is a very nive event, I'd also would have liked more time to attend all the make and takes!