Friday 10 September 2010

Altered Necklaces

Toot, toot, blowing my own trumpet, I know, but I'm so thrilled to say that I have won first prize in the Stampman Fortnightly Challenge! I posted it yesterday and thought it had another week to run before it closed then today I heard that I'd won. I'm so thrilled as it's the first challenge I've ever won as I've not long started to enter them. I only just limboed under the finishing tape for this one too. My luck has certainly changed as I won 2nd prize blog candy earlier in the week so I'll make sure I do the Lotto tomorrow.  

I made myself two necklaces to co-ordinate with some shirts I have. I couldn't find the purple or wine colours that I wanted anywhere, except for a fortune, so decided to make my own.
The beads above are wood and were, I think, varnished as they accepted alcohol inks very well when I painted them. I then stamped Chinese script on black Stazon quite randomly and heated to seal. Then I applied small dabs of Glossy accents to stick on the flakes of gold leaf.
 
This necklace was made from 3 cheapo bracelets made of plastic beads, shells and metal discs. I threaded
Them into a necklace then once again I painted the beads with alcohol inks to get the shades I needed.
What a shame I never took before pics of both!

I have never had a problem with AI colour coming off  onto garments but I cannot guarantee they won't on some materials so always check if you ever try this out.
Sadly, one of the members on a group I'm on has had a bereavement and this is the simple card I made to let her know we are thinking of her.
Thanks for calling by.... Have a great weekend! I hope the sun shines wherever you are.

15 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Not at all surprised you won your card is simply stunning congratulations. Your friend will be very comforted by your card for her it has the perfect sentiment. xx Zoe

Cath Wilson said...

First of all, Congratulations, Jo!!! Saw that and wanted to let you know but couldn't keep my eyes open. Great to seeyour talent being recognised.

Secondly, love the beads - wow. I'm not a big bead wearer or I may even copy these, lol but they really do look fab and especially the top ones.

Thirdly, gorgeous card and very apt. Never thought of that one for a Sympathy card. Lovely idea.

donnalouiserodgers said...

oh wow - love the necklaces, and I particularly like your sentiment on the bereavement card - and beautifully coloured,

Dx

lisa said...

Wow, I've just had a quick nosey at your gorgeous music card as I didn't manage to visit yesterday and I'm not surprised it won, Jo, it's stunning. Many Many congrats. It's certainly about time you had some things to make you smile and this challenge is extra special as they actualy choose a winner, not just randomly!!
Have a great weekend and enjoy spending your prize.
Hugs Lisax

sam21ski said...

No wonder you won Jo, your music card was stunning and your stamps were just fab xxx

I lurve both your necklaces but the top one just does it for me, they don't look wooden they look see through!!!

Hope the person finds the the card comforting xxxx

Dotpat said...

Congrat Jo, well done you, you deseved it was a fab card. Love your beads too, very clever and like your card

WW said...

Very nice necklaces, love the red one.

Glennis F said...

Congratulations on your win, you did an amazing project. The beads are inspirational too

olive said...

wow didnt you do well...... I've seen the made coloured with alcohol inks and its COOL....... ciao

cockney blonde said...

Love the necklaces Jo. Noticed that you had won, congratulations, well deserved.
Love the card too, x

Dragon said...

Wow you have done it again!!! Is there no nd to your talent and versatility??? Just love your blog, Jo
Hugs
Frankie
xx

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Hi Jo, congrats ;-) Did you win on the lottery then?
Gorgeous necklaces and card, love the colours of all
Anne xx

nerllybird said...

That's a beautiful sympathy card, the sentiment is perfect! And what a great job you've done with those necklaces - I'd never thought of altering one in this way.

Von said...

Oh wow the top neckless ismy fav and I could run off with it :)and congrats on winning with your super music card
Von x

Neet said...

Congratulations Jo. You are chalking up those positions and now you have topped them all. Well done you - am chuffed for you.