Tuesday 8 June 2010

Sea Shells and DH's Birthday Treat

This is the freebie stamp on this month's Craft Stamper. I don't usually like them or use them, but they have had some really good ones of late, so I decided that each month as they arrive, I should dive in and have a go with the stamp of the month.
I used lots of various bits of background scraps on which to stamp the
images and I laid them out somewhat, but not quite, influenced by the Andy Warhol style. I must admit that I'm pleased how all the mix of background colours meld so well. A great way to use up tiny scraps.


It was my DH's birthday last Friday and we decided to have a special day out in celebration as, pretty soon, once he's had his hip replacement operation, we won't be able to go anywhere for a while until he recovers. He chose a visit to Samlesbury Hall, a place on the way to Clitheroe in Lancashire, which we pass so often but had never before entered. It was always closed on the days we chose to stop. This time we were lucky and had a really interesting trip with such a sunny day to also enjoy the fabulous grounds and gardens. The hall dates from 1325 and had major refurbishment from 1968 to 79. We had an excellent meal in it's superb restaurant after touring the hall with it's minstrel gallery, stained glass windows, wonderful fireplaces and even a priest hole from the time of the Reformation. 
I was so surprised yesterday to see that Suze Weinberg had visited within a day or so of our visit and there is a photo of the hall on her blog!
The Main Hall











The Antique Shop
Even a fireplace and armchair in the toilet!

6 comments:

Dotpat said...

Done a good job with that stamp Jo and just love your photo's

Von said...

Don't you just love that stamp I used mine the day I got it as well :)

Beryl said...

Hi Jo - I love what you've done with the stamp. I was well pleased when it arrived with the latest magazine but haven't got round to inking it up yet. Now I seen this great work I think I'll have to get cracking.
Beryl xx

Glennis F said...

Great ideas with the shell stamp Jo, and I love your backgrounds

Tinkertaylor said...

Gorgeous card, love the Andy Warhol effect. That looks a lovely place you visited will take note in case I'm up in your neck of the woods.

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, what a fab hall, Jo - looks similar to Speke Hall from the front (well, it IS a long time since I was there, lol) but I just LOVE old halls and homes - there's such a sense of history when you walk inside and I feel overawed by it. I really enjoyed Little Moreton Hall when I went with my brother.